Friday, January 1, 2010

The New Year's Resolution Catch

It's January 2, 2010, I've made my NY's resolution a day late, and they are as follows:

1) Get my book published and ensure it rockets to the top of the bestseller's list, where it shall adamantly remain by fending off would-be competitors off with a spear.

2) Get pregnant.

Now, what have these 2 "firm decisions" have in common? Answer: They are (mostly) beyond my control, hence there really is nothing I could do to resolve them, is there?

The thing is, NY's resolutions are the procrastinator's crutch, the irresolute's corralling call for support. A smoker's declaration to "quit this nasty habit as of Jan 1, 2010" would most likely have been met with a roar of approval by friends and loved ones (albeit accompanied with a dose of "I'll believe it when I see it"), but if this same smoker should proclaim his/her decision to stop smoking on some inconsequential date in the future, there would be more rolled eyes than slaps on the back.

So you see, making NY's resolutions is a pointless exercise. You're either going to do something or you're not. The new year, another date on the calendar, ain't gonna make a difference, at least not once the champagne euphoria has worn off and the headache (read: reality of onerous decision) sets in.

Right, so some of you are disagreeing, shaking your head from your teetotaller's high-horse. "I can do it! I'll show you, oh faithless one!"

Please. Do so. And if you do indeed live up to your NY's resolution, then let me be the first to congratulate you and to say "I was wrong and I am humbled.... and next year, I resolve to write a different sort of blog".
Actually, if I could, I would resolve to be patient, so I would not tear my hair out waiting (interminably) for the things which are beyond my control to resolve themselves. So there you have it - my NY's resolution (which I suspect will be broken in less time than it takes to make the following dish), is to be P-A-T-I-E-N-T.

Here's a dish I absolutely adore and have been putting off making at home, and finally, I did it. Yes. It's a little fiddly, but brings with it loads of self-satisfaction. My apologies if the rolling directions are less than ideal. However, if you've ever made popiah or spring rolls, you should know this method. Otherwise, common sense helps too.

Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls with Prawn
Serves 2
12 tiger prawns, cooked, peeled and sliced in half.
6 sheets dried rice paper (found in asian grocery stores)
150 gm dried thin rice noodles (use fresh if available)
coriander leaves, picked and washed
vietnamese or normal mint leaves, picked and washed
lettuce leaves, picked, washed and torn
chives (optional)
roasted peanuts
hoisin sauce thinned slightly with water
large bowl of hot water

directions:
Follow instructions on rice noodle package to cook. Drain and set aside. Arrange all your ingredients around a flat surface where you will roll the rice paper (eg a generously-sized chopping board). Swish a sheet of rice paper in the hot water until it is soft (but not squishy), place gently on work surface. Line the rice paper with a row of mint, coriander, lettuce leaves and rice noodles, one on top of the other, then finish with 2 prawn halves. Fold one side of the rice paper over the stack of ingredients, tuck in either side, then tightly turn the roll once over to form a tube. Slice diagonally.
Serve with roasted peanuts in hoisin sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment