Monday, January 18, 2010

My New Toy

This arrived for me yesterday - the legendary Kitchenaid Mixer! I've been coveting it for a while but couldn't justify splurging on a mixer when I'm hardly a fan of desserts. Anyway, Nath ordered me one in pistachio for X'mas. Ok, so technically, I ordered it, he paid for it. Whatever. The point is - Me likey!! I think it's a hint for me to bake him more cakes.

Anyone with suggestions for cakes, please feel free to share them. With this new toy, it seems almost criminal not to expand my baking horizons and to use it to bake blueberry pound cakes would be an affront to its potential.

On a different note, some weeks back, I began writing another story, this time about cooking, and it was one of those projects that lost momentum because there was so much else going on. I was beginning to feel quite guilty for abandoning a burgeoning story, so I picked up where I'd left off and wrote about 3,000 words today. Am quite chuffed but the downside is that I am now drained of words (that make any sense).

Btw, we had a BBQ for 14 people on Sunday, which was tons of work but well worth the effort. Here are a few simple things to throw together for a summer lunch.









Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
1 crusty loaf, sliced
3 large ripe tomatoes, diced
handful of basil leaves, chopped
freshly ground salt and pepper
dash of sugar
1 clove garlic
extra virgin olive oil
In a bowl, mix tomatoes, basil, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar. Grill bo
th sides of bread slices, then rub the clove of garlic on the surface of the slices whilst they're hot. Pile tomato mixture on toast, drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.








Oven-Roasted Pouisson
3*500gm pouisson
3 cloves of garlic + 1 head of garlic
3 bay leaves
3 sprigs rosemary
3 sprigs thyme
3 slices lemon
salt and pepper
olive oil
1 glass red wine
100ml chicken stock

Prepare a roasting pan. Pat dry pouisson. Season the inside and outside with salt and pepper, then stuff each bird with 1 of each item (garlic, bay, rosemary, thyme, lemon). Cut the extra head of garlic in half and add to roasting pan with the pouisson. Roast i
n an oven at 190 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Remove birds and allow to rest. Meanwhile, set roasting pan over a stove, mash garlic with a ricer then deglaze the pan with wine and stock, ensuring you scrape any brown bits off the surface of the pan. Once sauce has reduced a little, pour through a strainer. Chop birds into quarters and serve with sauce.









Gratin Dauphinois
1kg waxy potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
1 clove garlic
500ml double cream
100ml whole milk
1 egg yolk
grated nutmeg
250gm grated gruyere cheese
1 tsp salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 220 degrees. Whisk egg yolk with salt and pepper. Warm cream and milk in a saucepan, then combine with egg yolk. Rub the bottom of a casserole dish with garlic, then arrange one layer of potatoes. Sprinkle 1/2 the cheese, arrange another layer of potatoes and sprinkle the rest of the cheese. Pour the cream and milk mixture, grate nutmeg over the top and bake for about 50 min, covering with aluminium foil for the last 15 minutes if cheese is too brown.

5 comments:

  1. wow!! soo jealous!! have my eyes set on one of those too but was tell ally that its really not worth if only use to make simple cakes hehe! so i'll be checking in regularly for impressive complex cakes and desserts ok hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh Fern, I know precisely what you mean, which is why I've put off buying the mixer. Not much a dessert person, and although Nath is, it's a challenge for him to get through an entire cake! HAHA.. Will endeavour to do my mixer justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Kitchen aid too!! but I keep using my hands to make my bread dough. Old habits ha!ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice mixer - seen it sooo many times and just can't bear to buy it! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FB Comments

    Juliann Ryan I LOVE it!!! Can't wait till next sat!! X
    January 19 at 4:39pm ·

    Georgie Frank so so so so jealous!
    January 19 at 5:03pm ·

    Karen Ong i love the kitchenaid !
    January 19 at 5:07pm ·

    Daphne Hedley Might have to put it to some use so I'll have something to boast about over dinner. If I'm not struck by a flash of brilliance dessert wise, might use it to muddle mojitos!
    January 19 at 5:08pm ·

    Dawn Wong love the colour! the ukuleles come in that colour too i think. can't decide.....
    January 19 at 5:21pm ·

    Daphne Hedley Pistachio Ukulele sounds cute! Could even write a song about it.
    January 19 at 5:25pm ·

    Thuwaibah Basrael Bake a pain d'epice!! Congrats on your new kitchen aid
    January 19 at 5:53pm ·

    Allison Lim so nice i want!
    January 19 at 6:09pm ·

    Daphne Hedley Hey Tube, will defo try doing that!
    January 19 at 8:37pm ·

    Diane Wong me likey.
    January 19 at 10:10pm ·

    Edwin Ling Sharon and I been looking at this for awhile too...I got to invest to satisfy my cravings for double...no no make it triple choc!
    January 20 at 12:32am ·

    Tony Scimonello Buy ths mincer attachments and start making gourmet sausages. I have the white mixer sititng on the kitchen bench they look so cool,
    January 20 at 1:08am ·

    Diane Wong *likes* tony's suggestion too!!!
    January 20 at 2:25am ·

    Daphne Hedley Tony: Defo will look into it. Cool is always good. Haha.. even if my sausages don't turn out gourmet.

    ReplyDelete